The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU) – Legal Department, Operations (OPS) – Outside Europe Division (OEU) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a Banking and Project Finance Lawyer.
The Outside Europe Division (OEU) deals with the legal documentation and legal issues for projects in the following areas: Mediterranean (FEMIP), Africa, Caribbean, Pacific, Asia, Latin America. The successful candidate will assist the Head of Division and Head of Department, together with other legal counsel, in providing legal support to the Bank’s operational, monitoring and restructuring services.
The lawyer will carry out work related to all of the Division's responsibilities and work independently on lending and financing operations. The lawyer will draw up, as necessary, reports on completed transactions and prepare her/his own proposals when consulted on fundamental or unusual issues. S/he will:
• Draft and negotiate legal documentation for lending and financing operations for:
- projects in the aforementioned countries, with primary focus on French-law lending operations, notably bilateral loans with banking counterparts, public entities and major corporates
- PPP/ project finance operations, with assistance from external legal counsel
- structured finance operations
- other forms of financing, including risk – sharing structures, on funded and un-funded basis
This accountability involves: advising on structuring, drafting of documents, legal advisory support, conclusion of contracts, completion of all related legal formalities, and legal monitoring (including loan restructuring and other post-signature events)
• Manage contacts and negotiations
• Liaise with external consultants and supervise their work, whenever necessary
• Complete the administrative formalities vis-à-vis clients (public institutions and private enterprises)
• Undertake research and conduct legal studies on issues of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of developing new financial instruments
• Develop and maintain relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally
• University degree in law, preferably at Master level and qualified in French law ;
• Qualification or professional experience in both Common Law and Civil Law will be a distinct advantage ;
• Significant experience in the drafting and negotiation of loan and finance documentation in French and English ;
• Solid experience of cross-border bank/corporate lending and finance; experience in project finance transactions would be an advantage ;
• Minimum 3 years of post-qualification professional experience relevant for the job, in the field of bank or corporate lending and/or project finance, acquired with a law firm of international repute or the in-house legal department of a financial institution ;
• Very good knowledge of standard computer tools ;
• Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and French* is required.
• Professional interest in the relevant geographical area
• Ability to analyse, summarise and solve problems
• Ability to develop innovative legal solutions
• Ability to draft documents rapidly and efficiently
• Good interpersonal and negotiating skills
• Ability to argue convincingly and achieve a consensus among colleagues and third parties on legal matters
• Team player
• Good organisational skills and ability to prioritise (and meet deadlines)
The EIB offers particularly attractive working conditions. The term of this contract will be 4 years, possibly renewable for a 2 year term.