Our client is a Belgian life insurance company that is part of a leading international group. It has a major market share and benefits from a capitalisation that is well beyond regulatory requirements.
Our client is seeking to expand its compliance team of 4 with an additional colleague.
As compliance officer, you will assess whether the instructions and/or procedures within the company respect the insurance regulation. You will identify, examine and evaluate compliance risks.
To that effect, you will, in particular:
• Advise and work on strategic compliance projects, develop and implement compliance-related policies and procedures, and ensure proper awareness of these within the company by training management, staff members and tied agents;
• Advise the management, translate regulations into specific obligations and improve the communication of those standards and obligations to employees;
• Improve the control and application of those compliance standards;
• Ensure that the Compliance Action Plan is properly executed. It will incorporate the following non-exhaustive list of regulations:
o Compliance Function;
o Privacy and Data Protection;
o AML and Financial Sanctions;
o External Functions;
o Competition law;
o Market Abuse;
o Ethics (policy regarding gifts and invitations, whistle blowing and accessory activities);
o Special Tax Mechanisms;
• Execute internal audits on the application of the Compliance Action Plan and the compliance measures;
• Contribute to the monthly and quarterly compliance reporting to respectively the management committee and the audit committee as well as to group compliance and on a yearly basis to the supervisory authorities, unless the occurrence of compliance breach events justify and require an ad hoc reporting to those authorities; report also on FATCA to the relevant authorities;
• Contribute to identifying, evaluating and controlling of compliance risks in cooperation with the risk assessment department;
• Keep up to date with evolutions and developments within the field of compliance, as well as of changes in the law and regulations applicable to insurance companies and insurance intermediaries;
• Maintain a good working relationship with the compliance departments of the other group companies.
• You hold a Masters in law or economics;
• You have at least 5 years’ experience as a compliance officer or as a lawyer in the field of financial services;
• You have an excellent command of French, Dutch and English;
• You are communicative and are able to translate complex legal issues into understandable language, both written and orally;
• You have an analytic mind and a hands on approach;
• You are a team player who provides leadership but who also invests in maintaining good relationships with different departments within the company;
• You have a strong sense of responsibility, you work in a precise manner and you have an organisational talent.
You will join a dynamic compliance team of team of 5 members, including the head of compliance, in a company that is well established on the Belgian market, with a leading market share and an above standard market capitalisation.
Your financial package will be competitive and very complete.