Our client is Oaktree Capital. It is a leader among global investment managers specializing in alternative investments, with $100 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017. The firm emphasizes a value-oriented and risk-controlled approach to investments in distressed debt, corporate debt (including high yield debt and senior loans), control investing, convertible securities, real estate and listed equities. Headquartered in Los Angeles, the firm has over 900 employees and offices in 18 cities worldwide.
The position is based in Luxembourg and reporting to the Head of Legal Luxembourg. It is an additional new role responsible for performing Luxembourg manager duties as well as transactional legal support. Oaktree is looking for a candidate to support the existing team for its Distressed Debt/Opportunities Funds in Luxembourg. This is a hands on role which works closely with the investment teams, external counsel, Los Angeles based legal and compliance teams as well as the accounting function in Luxembourg. This role requires strong organizational and communication skills in order to operate under tight investment driven timeframes.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working directly with the Head of Legal and Investment Teams in Europe (primarily London) on private equity or debt transactions to ensure that the appropriate actions and Luxembourg related activities are completed in line with the transaction deadline;
- Serving as a Manager on Luxembourg companies (typically holding companies) investing in Luxembourg;
- Being responsive to draft, review and approve key legal documents in a time sensitive manner and approving cash wires as necessary in their role as a Manager;
- Working closely with the Company Secretarial team to ensure timely delivery of KYC and completion procedures;
- Working closely with external Luxembourg counsel to ensure that structures are correctly set up and deal based documents are correctly executed and consistent across Oaktree where appropriate;
- The implementation of intra-group financing structures incl. hybrid financial instruments, loans etc. (legal drafting knowledge required);
- Drafting and review of internal and, as the case may be, external legal documents with regards to the operations of the Luxembourg investment structures; and
- Working closely with the Luxembourg Financial Controller on upcoming investments and ongoing reporting requirements to ensure correct and timely accounting takes place.
- Master Degree in law, MS/MSc, LLM, JD, or equivalent degree is required (Full legal qualification).
- Between 3 and 5 years legal and transaction experience (post-qualification) in major global law firm or Luxembourg local equivalent;
- Experience as a corporate Manager, preferably in Luxembourg, is an asset;
- Experience in Private Equity, Distressed Debt or Real Estate industries required;
- Strong understanding of portfolio management and administration, KYC and set up procedures of Luxembourg companies;
- Strong understanding of Luxembourg company law and local filing requirements;
- Basic Luxembourg and/or international tax knowledge is an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Self-starter with a proven ability to take initiative and solve problems as they arise;
- Demonstrates clear ownership of tasks through to completion;
- Hard-working with strong dedication to the position and the firm;
- Ability to build good working relationships and gain confidence of others;
- Team-oriented with strong integrity and professionalism.
Our client belongs to the top 10 private equity houses globally. You will have the opportunity to join an absolute top legal team and to coordinate and advise on top tier transactions, notably as part of the distressed debt team, the flagship activity of Oaktree Capital. The Oaktree Capital team has been expanding rapidly over the past years and continues to do so. Besides the opportunity to become part of an astute team and to gain hands-on experience, it offers a competitive remuneration package with a flexible remuneration in line with your performance.